Wednesday 1 April 2009

Even more Irish impressions

Here they are for what they are worth. And, yes, there are more to follow!

IRISH FARMHOUSE

A green room in a farmhouse Bed & Breakfast -
a room with a wire hanger on a nail on a wall
to hang my coat on, and a musty oriental
sheet on the sagged bed; and many pillows.
An old cobweb hangs in the dusty drinking glass
on the bedside table and a dead crane fly hangs
from the ceiling. I lie on the bed and think -
I think of Larkin's Mr Bleaney and how near we are
to where the ocean breaks on the beach.


A STRANGER'S THOUGHT IN PORTMAGEE?°

the universities are stuffed
with politically correct academics -
what else can you expect from a people
with no moral radar
but shibboleths of cosy liberal consensus
and moral laxity


THE GREEN PATH

over slatey stones
and springy bright green turf

and silver dolphins
in the sunny seaweed
scented breeze and rain-
washed air


ON BALLINSKELLIGS BEACH

cormorants
snipe
lapwings
tern
kittywakes


SOME QUOTES OF THE DAY

"If I didn't have my own house I'd be really banjaxed"

"I hope the sun shines for you"

"Only the real Irish come from County Clare"

"I'll see you tomorrow with God's help"


°have no idea where this observation is from or even why it was noted down

6 comments:

  1. I can hear the leprechauns laughing, aspecially at the cranefly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the constant sound of the sea in The Green Path - and would love that one about the Irish B and B were it not for the daddy long legs hanging from the ceiling! d.l.l's are my personal bete noir. Reminded me of a hotel in Mongolia, where at dark an army of cockroaches appeared from out of a crack in the wallpaper - if you switched the light on they all marched back in single file, If you dared to get out of bed in the dark you could kill a few in half a dozen footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. jinksy, they were but B&B´ers must take the rough with the smooth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Weaver, your hotel wallpaper cockroaches are almost like something out of a Disney cartoon or an O Henry travelling salesman story

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.