Thursday 12 November 2009

Happy Birthday Poet in Residence

The Poet in Residence blog-spot is two this month. How does a blog celebrate its second birthday? The poem below, Sunday Interlude, is an allegory for a birthday. The reader can go there. It will suffice. It may do more.

The philosophy behind the young and upcoming Poet in Residence blog has all to do with the role of the individual as artist. Poet in Residence belongs to no school of poetry. He sub-scribes to and for no palliative. He feels no need or requirement or urgent need to do so. Like Josef Haydn, Dylan Thomas, and Vincent van Gogh, the first three names to spring to mind, the Poet in Residence ploughs his own furrow. Sometimes the furrows cross. But no matter.

That's a way, but it's always the way in which progress is made in the arts. Schools of art or poetry sometimes serve to stint one's progress or stop it altogether.

Naturally schooling is important. Nobody would deny that. After all, it is where foundations are laid. But once the foundations are firm you can almost forget about them. It will take an earthquake to move you.

We can now build our towers. Poet in Residence has just completed the second storey of his. There's a long way to go. But the work has begun.

For the statistically minded:
2 years old (or is it young?)
500 postings (or approaching!)
500 visitors° per week (on average)
°includes visits by universities and educational establishments with more than one computer.

7 comments:

  1. Love the Sunday Interlude.

    I agree with you about the arts and how the individual should approach it. I think it applies to all branches - the idea that rules are made to be broken. I am interested at the moment in the use of punctuation (for reasons I won't go into here) - I feel strongly that once one has mastered them, then it is time to use them or not as one feels the need. Too many commas, semi-colons, colons, etc. and it all seems a bit pedantic to me. Once I had read some Proust with its enormously long sentences I felt better about my idiosyncratic use of punctuation.
    Happy blogging for another year - I enjoy your blog immensely - you always make me have to think hard before I type a reply. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WG posted her comment as I was mulling over mine!

    Happy birthday, blog.

    Haydn is one of my favourite composers. It is said he was a genuinely nice man - and I think that shines through his music. It has a wonderful emotional range, but I always feel there is a good-naturedness underlying it. I wish I knew all his symphonies: perhaps I'll get round to it. One of my all time favourites is No 6 (Morning). If you know it you'll know it starts with a fantastic sunrise and (not overdone) dawn chorus. I think I'll stick it on later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weaver since we are not doing nuclear science or quantum physics we can experiment with our dots etc...

    Dominic, you'll do well to get through all of Haydn's symphonies - he composed more than 90.

    TFE , ta and sluaghs of em to U2.

    George, Thank you kind sir. By the way, Angela Howard and her Rumanian poetry students may 'discover' your blog. They were looking for inspirational links. I pointed them in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats Gwilym keep 'Haudin forrit' (as MacDiarmid would say)
    john

    ReplyDelete
  5. !cheers John, and haud forrit yersel'
    gwilym

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.