Thursday 28 July 2011

On Reading Christy Brown


Long may the harlequinade spin out if
it takes us away from the tumbrel
- Christy Brown

I thank you Christy Brown
although you do not know me,
I feel I will always know you or
at least that magical part of you
I find in the verses you kindly left
with your photo
inside the sleeve of a
book's jacket.

I thank you Christy Brown
although you do not know me,
I thank you for old Miss
Mahaffey's rainbow fall of silk;
and the colours of the four
winds and your patchwork bag
of magic and even Michael Joe's
crying as no child.

I thank you Christy Brown for
your snails and skylarks
and your music and, yes, I
come softly to your wake.
With my calm togetherness of
hands I break the rugged crust
of your friendly bread and
drink the winepress of your stars.

I thank you Christy Brown for
the gleam in your eyes.
In your small photo I see the
secret in your kind face.
Long and long may your
harlequinade spin out
and take us all from the dark
and into the place of song.

_______
gw2008,2011
from the collection Genteel Messages

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.