Friday 5 October 2012

Crossing the Bar by Tennyson




   The reader might like to compare and contrast Tennyson's famous poem, published here, with my own poem Last Voyage which can be found in the post immediately below this one. It is said that Tennyson wrote his poem in October 1889 following a serious illness. The poet passed away 3 years later; that is 120 years ago tomorrow. 


Crossing the Bar

Sunset and evening star,
 And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
 When I put out to sea.

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
 Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
 Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
 And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
 When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
 The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
 When I have crost the bar.

______
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
6th August 1809 - 6th October 1892


1 comment:

  1. Die Einrichtung des poet in residence fehlt an keiner Universität in den USA. In Deutschland war die Universität Duisburg-Essen die erste und lange Zeit einzige Hochschule, die dem amerikanischen Beispiel folgte und Gegenwartsautor/inn/en als Gastdozent/inn/en für Lesungen und Seminare an die Universität holte. 1975 hielt als erster poet in residence Martin Walser seine Poetik-Vorlesungen in Essen.
    http://earthquakevictimsappeal.mono.net/

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.