Thursday 30 October 2014

The Eastern Hotel





I snapped this image quickly through a train window near Bratislava. It is an hotel. The name of the hotel can just be made out  through the mist. 

I've switched the image enhancer to monochrome turned up the contrast etc. so you can make out the name. It is as far as I can make out called simply HOTEL. 

The bizzaro block architecture makes it resemble a nuclear power station or a prison but I immediately thought of a motel featured in an Alfred Hitchcock film; his terror classic Psycho. It's funny how the mind works; how it makes  odd connections. 

I supposed that there must be a way for the train traveller to get to the HOTEL without walking over the ploughed field but I didn't see it.  

There was barely an a hour remaining before dusk when the train pulled in at the next stop, an unmanned halt with a pair of concrete waiting rooms resembling World War II air raid shelters. I didn't feel the need to alight. I stayed where I was. Continued my journey west. 



5 comments:

  1. They don[t have much of a view from their windows, do they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, they might see the wind park from upstairs. There are hundreds, nay thousands of windmills on these plains where the wind is always blowing.

      Delete
  2. I just so happen to have my Thomas Cook European Rail Timetable on the kitchen table. I was looking at the journey to Budapest. Is that where you were returning from? My dream holiday is a rail trip across Europe. I love photographs like your hotel. I have seen things like this even in Germany on the northern plains with nothing but swans and isolated farms and then a strangely modern building in the middle of nowhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for not making me go through the gatekeeper tonight.

      Delete
  3. Rachel I was on the Neusiedlersee line near where it joins the Hainburg / Bratislava line. Location about 60 mins from the new Vienna Hbf. (main station). In fact there are several lines come together in the area of the HOTEL including a couple from Hungary as well as the one from Slovakia. Last time I went to Budapest was a few years ago, more than 5 years I think; it was to go to a Vincent van Gogh exhibition.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.