Friday 13 February 2015

ACGLOP




Readers familiar, or even unfamiliar, with Ernst Jandl's famous sound poems (link to Jandl in the sidebar) might like to sample my freshly cooked Jandl-style poem ACGLOP.

Words* like ACGLOP have recently appeared on all menu cards in European Union restaurants and cafes! For dramatic effect the poem may be read out loud with a full mouth of dangerous food. 

ACGLOP
ALOP
ACLOP
ACLOP

ACGLOP
ACGLOP
ACGLOP
AS
ACL

AGMO
ACMO
ACGMO
ACGMO
ACGMO
ACGMO

ACMO
ACGM
ACGM
ACGMO
ACGMO
ACOM
ACGMO
A

AG
AG
AM
AM
AM

A
A
AG
ACG
A

ACGMO
ACMO
ACGMO
LMOP
ACGLOP



*from a European Union Directive on food allergies which includes (for the sake of my poem):
A=gluten, C=eggs, G=milk, L=celery, P=lupins, M=mustard, O=sulphates

Bon appetite!

8 comments:

  1. After reading it loud several times I wonder- Lupins. are they alergy causing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything on the menu list had one of these strange new words next to it. I didn't see anybody eating a lupin though!
    By the way Yael, that's my lunch in the photo. It was a herring with trimmings. I didn't eat those tulips, I should add.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watced carefully the plate trying to gusse what is in it.I am always after the small detailes, So i guesse it was a buffet meal.It looks nice and full of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called Herringsschmaus and restaurants serve it at this time of year. It was traditionally eaten to mark Ash Wednesday which I think is 80 days before Easter (or something like that . . . but don't quote me . . . I'm no religious authority). It has to do with the carnival season these days. Restaurants where it is served with various pickles and salad or egg are generally decked out with trimmings and baubles and masks etc.. It is not a buffet as you imagine. And what you see is a half portion. My friend had the other half!

      Delete
  4. It has taken a while for me to get my head around this. I have now got there. I see it as a visual, not for me to read aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the visual. Jandl's poems are also visual. So you are right. I was thinking of when I went to an exhibition of his original work and you could hear them on radio etc.. Some recitations will be on YouTube too. The poem reminds of my evenings at Cafe Kafka a few years ago where we performed much nonsense to a small audience. Unfortunately it was cigarette smoke that drove me away. You could cut it with the proverbial knife.

      Delete
    2. Pat, get your poetry club teeth round this one!

      Delete
  5. My Italian Autostrada Espresso Coffee Machine Truck Driver Joke.
    1st Driver: I heard that coffee can be dangerous for the health.
    2nd Driver: (downing his second cup) Mama mia! Disastro!
    1st Driver: Yeah, it was on the news. A man in America died from swallowing the plastic capsule.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.