Thursday 24 September 2015

two tracks for a brief moment crossing



Another holy man
this stranger
this sartorial guru
this rucksacked mannequin
at the underground barrier
and me
phone pressed to my ear
escalating swiftly
into the bowels
of the city
two tracks for a brief moment crossing
this preacher
this mystic
this saintly man
 and an over committed
 me
rushing once more
to some nonsense or other
my foot poised
then toeing the escalator
shoe making tentative contact
what did he speak
this prophet
this oracle
this all-seer
armed with his copy of The Watchower 
'The end is nigh
Awake! and repent . . .'
I now recall
 and then . . .
the next words crushed
 the sound of thundering steel
and the squeal of braking wheels
his prophet's message

lost
 on the rushing multitude



2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, The Watchtower. Luckily we don't get them down our lane, we are a bit too remote. A lost cause for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get all kinds here. They say it takes all kinds to make the world go round.
      Personally I agree with the woman who said the Earth is on the back of a turtle, and then it's turtles all the way down. ;)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.