Wednesday 9 September 2015

Beware the bearded fireworms


!!!!!!!!!!
beware 
the bearded 
fireworms 
that forage 
in the open sea
 or in the cracks 
between the rocks 
they are red 
or green 
or brown
 a pleated beard 
upon the head 
a caruncle 
for a crown 
they like to eat 
invertebrates 
 gorgonians 
and anemones 
they creep 
below 
the coral slabs 
 they hide 
amidst the rocky 
rubble 
they lurk
within the seagrass 
beds
 do not disturb 
the bearded worms
beware 
the burning 
of their bristles 
 beware their painful 
wound 


2 comments:

  1. On the assumption Gwil that I can make what I like of this - I think it aptly refers to the Brits who have left to join Isis. It certainly presents a clear picture of them in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote I was thinking of the Jabberwoky, but as you said (apropos RS Thomas) poetry is open to one's own interpretation. It can only be so.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.