MERRY CHRISTMAS

Christmas 1914 and the guns fall silent for a short time along the so-called Western Front. At five locations British and German soldiers play football.

Wednesday, 20 January 2010

Genteel Messages for Art Sparker


The reason for this picture has to do with an Art Sparker (see A-Z Links >>>) book themed post.

Genteel Messages, ISBN 978-1-906357-17-7 consists of 40 of my earlier poems. The 54-page book was published by Poetry Monthly Press (5.25p & pp) in June 2008.

To my surprise and delight it was selected for a 1st place in the Purple Patch Lists: Best Small Press Individual Collection 2008. The book continues, even 2 years on, to keep its place in Poetry Monthly's best-seller list.

Reviews can be found at The Recusant and Pulsar websites (see A-Z Links >>>). The project was a learn-by-doing experience. I was persuaded to undertake it to mark my 60th year.

Would I write another poetry book? At the time I said I wouldn't; but now I think, why not?

I recall that R S Thomas was writing some of his best poems at the age of 80. If I can emulate him there could be two more books to come. Three collections, three decades? Not out of the question.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this, I will link. The graphic artist in me appreciates your cover design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PR - just linked the post, the problem appears to be resolved.

    ReplyDelete