Friday 20 November 2015

Today's Poems (chosen by God)





            Aware of the daily violence and horror inflicted on and by human beings on other human beings, on intelligent animals who take no delight in sharing our vision of the world, on highly evolved sea creatures now dying in vast numbers, and even on the very fabric of the planet itself, I decided I would invite no less an author than the Supreme Being to contribute a verse or two from his personal poetry collection; that is to say from the New International Version of his renowned book, the anthology generally known as The Holy Bible. Silently and respectfully and in all seriousness  I invited God, as he is called by many, to use my dutiful fingers to riffle through the 1,385 pages allowing them to settle as he willed while firmly believing that he would indicate any relevant passage/s by exercising some mysterious control over my thumbs. Where my thumbs  lay in the margins when I returned my gaze to the pages would indicate the passages he wanted me to publish here today. 



See how they lie in wait for me!
Fierce men conspire against me
for no offence or sin of mine
O Lord.  
I have done no wrong, yet they 
are ready to attack me.
Arise to help me; look on my plight. 
(Psalm 59 verses 3,4 - page 638)

Poem 2

Increase the days of the king's life,
his years for many generations. 
May he be enthroned in God's 
presence for ever;
appoint your love and 
faithfulness to protect him. 
(Psalm 61 verses 6,7 - page 639)





7 comments:

  1. A beautiful and profound piece. Well done and greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A sensible thing to do under the circumstances Gwil - and as usual He came up with some pretty powerful answers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Blogoratti. Incidentally, your train is called The Salamander.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat, it's a mystery no one can explain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post and interesting method - sometimes our own words are just stifled when we look at evil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way: I like your header!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Brigitta. The header is a photo of the moon.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.